The next European Solidarity Corps Wind of Change project – IL CASONE – is about to start on 25 January 2020. We are still looking for a fourth (possibly male) volunteer, that can start later in this year (no later than April).
- Total n° of volunteers: 4
- Countries involved: France, Czech Republic, Estonia + [to be defined – EU country]
- Sending partners: Hors Pistes, Inex, Estyes + [to be defined]
- Country: European Country (travel grant max €275,00)
- Mobility period for the new volunteer: February/March/April 2020 to 2021 (352 days)
- (Mobility period for the first 3 volunteers: from January 2020 to January 2021)
- Project Venue: the village of Anticoli Corrado (50 km from Rome)
- Project n. 2019-2-IT03-ESC11-016468
- Placement on European Youth Portal: https://europa.eu/youth/solidarity/placement/16974_en
Volunteers must necessarily have already registered with the Youth Portal (European Solidarity Corps Portal: https://europa.eu/youth/solidarity_en) and have generated their Participant Number (registration must have been done before the start of activities). The platform was created by the European Commission, and constitutes a unique database of access to the Program by young people; consequently, all young people interested in participating in the Program must register as the selection of volunteers by the organizations must take place through the Portal.
Tavola Rotonda is an organization born in 2005 that works at a local level in the area of Rome and its province along the Aniene Valley. The aim of the organization is to invent, design and implement creative ideas and turn them into reality through an innovative and practical way. The main activities revolve around issues of environmental education, culture, slow food, green economy, responsible consumption and civic economy.
Read more: Organization background
The project: topics
Wind of change is a voluntary service project addressed to four volunteers for a 12 months project.
The project aims to promote and build a future generation active in society and work with the valorization of common actions to promote the enhance of common goods and natural heritages.
Long term goals are: to spread the culture of the civil economy in rural communities, increasingly supporting citizens and small municipalities in development processes territorial starting from the bottom, respecting the community and involving it in a process of empowerment.
In the short term we expect to offer a practical experience for young European citizens capable of transmitting to them the value of solidarity as a tool for social and cultural change; a space for personal growth, mutual knowledge and cultural growth; an area of cooperation and exchange to cultivate the values of Europe.
The project aims also to prepare the volunteers to manage an entire accommodation structure, concerning every area of the activity of hosting: food, building and rooms care and preparation for guests, maintenance, communication, promotion, etc.
Project value and venue
Anticoli Corrado is a small town in the Province of Rome in the Italian region Latium, located about 40 km northeast of Rome. It hosts a population of 858 and it covers an area of 16.3 km².
Anticoli Corrado borders the following municipalities: Mandela, Marano Equo, Rocca Canterano, Roviano, Saracinesco, and can be reached from Rome and Tivoli following Via Tiburtina Valeria. The town became very well-known in the 19th century (as “the town of artists and models”) because its young inhabitants used to pose as models for the community of artists living near Piazza di Spagna in Rome. Some artists eventually went to see the birthplace of their models and found Anticoli a very picturesque site to the point of living there for some time. The town attracted artists until World War II. Anticoli and some of the neighbouring towns were portrayed in many paintings. Stanley Kramer’s The Secret of Santa Vittoria (1969) was almost entirely shot here.
Anticoli Corrado has an important museum of modern and contemporary art and is a remarkable touristic place, but mostly for people from Rome. However it has an international reputation because of its history and artistic past, and the municipality, with the support of the local associations, wants to enhance this vocation. The volunteers will know and collaborate with the inhabitants of the village, coming into contact with a different lifestyle and learning to involve them.
Our work in Anticoli
Tavola Rotonda association bets on the touristic development of the valley and opened in Anticoli Corrado an educational centre and accommodation facility for sustainable tourism for children and adults who want to build a green future, to promote education to environment, volunteering and civic economics: “Il Casone”. The house generally hosts groups of children, students or young adults during the the course of the year. It is composed by 6 bedrooms (from 2 to 5 beds for room), large common spaces, and a large garden around the house. 3 rooms have a private bathroom, 3 have a shared bathroom.
The Casone’s hospitality manager will live in Casone and work with the volunteers and tutor.
The association, with its stable civil economy project on the Aniene Valley, has been working for over 7 years in implementing local development strategies by activating educational channels, relationships and collaborations with the territory, bringing planning and ideas. With the Casone the association brings its experience into the valley, and it’s an incubator of ideas and center for exchanges. Among the past experiences, the youth exchanges, trainings, European volunteering and now European solidarity corps are educational tools to bring young people, youth organizations and social workers closer to comparison on issues concerning the world of cooperation, youth, volunteering, learning, the role of young people in decision-making and democratic processes. Many of the activities are aimed at cultivating the sense of active citizenship and belonging for management aware of community life for the shared protection of heritage.
The voluntary activities then fit into the network of territorial projects, carried out by the members of the association, with the aim of offering young people the opportunity to be involved in a process of social change that involves the community through the implementation of participation processes. In particular this project will be managed in such a way as to involve young people in the management of territorial cooperation activities, in the difficult networking activity and shared planning between associations.
The context of the project is simultaneously a learning space and a place of confrontation. Volunteers can therefore put their knowledge and skills into practice, discover unspoken attitudes and skills, offer ideas and put them into practice. The associative context stands as an incubator for the growth of the individual and a space of exchange to cultivate and share the culture of solidarity, as a social challenge.
Volunteer learning agreement:
Volunteers will work on one or more topics, depending on personal inclinations. The proposed themes are partly already started by the previous volunteers, and partly prepared to be started or build on. These are the main topics that will be developed, together with the participants, to define the program of activities to be carried out during the 1-year project:
- education, training, activities with children, lifelong learning, summer camps, afterschool, plan, organize, and lead educational workshop with different type of targets (children, young people and adults);
- excursions, trails, mapping, hiking, plan and organize cultural events in the local community;
- hospitality, welcoming of international guests, managing the accommodation structure, sustainable tourism, creating an organic garden; coordinate and logistically support hosting activity of groups in the building;
- online and offline communication, social networks, website, graphics; manage an organization and its public relations by doing office activities and communication with the public; do research and interact with local actors and stakeholders to promote the project Aniene Valley in cooperation with the Municipality of Anticoli Corrado and the Natural Park;
- circular economy, green jobs, social inclusion; help the local community to make them participate and be protagonist of their own territory through actions that help to rediscover the value of the community and to support the process of empowerment towards sustainable local development
Every volunteer will be required to participate in the association’s life in Rome and in Anticoli Corrado, taking part in meetings, events, volunteer days, etc, and to collaborate with the institutions and the population of the municipality of Anticoli Corrado.
Number of volunteers: 4 – we are looking for the fourth volunteer!
France – Czech Republic – Estonia + one to be defined (EU country)
We’re partners with Hors Pistes, Inex, Estyes + one to be defined
We are looking for a male volunteer, age 18-30
The project is addressed to all youth who would like to deal with and experience further the said topics.
Volunteers will be selected taking into account their work and educational history, their motivation and their interest in the project.
Volunteers will work with a tutor from the hosting organization.
Volunteers will also be required to collaborate with the coordinators of the association’s various activities, in Rome and in the Aniene valley.
Deadline: 31 March 2020
Project duration: 12 months 2020-2021
Duration excluding travel (days): 352
The volunteer can begin in January, February, March or April 2020
Volunteers will live in an apartment in Anticoli Corrado (RM).
The Casone is located in Anticoli Corrado. To attend the voluntary service volunteers will use public transport or a private car if they wish to bring theirs. They can also walk or cycle – a bike is provided for each volunteer. A car will be available for shopping and project errands.
We will find the best solution to guarantee and simplify the trips required for participation, for example with public transport passes and tickets.
The activities will take place in four different territorial areas: the city of Rome, the municipality of Anticoli Corrado, the Casone and the Aniene Valley (natural park).
Activities take 30 hours a week; 5 days of work and 2 days off. The volunteers collect 2 days of holiday each month.
Estimated working hours: 3 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon. Free days could be on weekends or midweek. The times and the schedule will be subject to change depending on current activities.
- January / March – focus on language course, deepening of the knowledge of the association and its activities, schedule planning, attendance at meetings, Casone program planning, communication, training, circular economy
- April / September – focus on hospitality, children activities, summer activities, paths and mapping, planning of events, circular economy + participation in Festambiente festival
- October / December – focus on hospitality, communication, public relations, planning of activities, social inclusion, project conclusion
An Italian language course will be provided with the support of OLS (Online language support) and it will be fitted within the working hours.
More information about the hosting organization and projects:
- A.P.S. Tavola Rotonda – www.tavolarotonda.org
- Il Casone Valle dell’Aniene facebook.com/ValledellanieneIlCasone – www.valledellaniene.com
- Legambiente Mondi Possibili www.legambientemondipossibili.org
- Natural Reserve Valle dell’Aniene http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riserva_naturale_Valle_dell’Aniene
- Legambiente onlus https://www.legambiente.it/
- Lorenzo Barucca firstname.lastname@example.org
- Francesca Baliva email@example.com
Volunteers must necessarily have already registered with the Youth Portal (European Solidarity Corps Portal: https://europa.eu/youth/solidarity_en) and have generated their Participant Number (registration must have been done before the start of activities). Then contact us with your Participant Number, or apply on the placement on European Youth Portal: https://europa.eu/youth/solidarity/placement/16974_en
Thank you for your interest!